Cherokee County, Georgia Genealogy
Cherokee County, Georgia ancestry and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you to you track your Cherokee Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree. Cherokee County Quick Facts:
- Government Website: www.cherokeega.com/
- Created Date / Origin: December 21, 1830 from lands previously held by the Cherokee Indians in the Cherokee Cession of 1831. (portions of Cherokee County were used to create Pickens County (1853) and Milton County (1857). Between 1847 and 1869 transferred land to Cass County (Bartow), Cobb County, Forsyth County, and Pickens County. )
- County Seat: Canton
- Named After: Cherokee Nation, which controlled this part of the state autonomously until 1831.
- Bordering Counties: Pickens County (north), Dawson County (northeast), Forsyth County (east), Fulton County, Cobb County (south), Bartow County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Ball Ground, Canton, Holly Springs, Waleska, Woodstock
Cherokee County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cherokee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Cherokee County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the great importance of Cherokee County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Hidden away in Georgia courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and worries of many Georgia citizens.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Cherokee County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Cherokee County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data in this county. The County Courthouse was burned by Union troops in 1865. A new brick courthouse was completed in 1874 and burned in 1928
- Cherokee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Cherokee County Clerk of Courts has responsibility over felony cases, cases regarding title to land and equity, declaratory judgments, habeas corpus, mandamus, adoptions, name changes, divorces, child custody, and child support enforcement. The clerk is responsible for recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: 678.493.6511
- Land Records: 1833
- Court Records: 1832
- Cherokee County Clerk of Probate Court duties cover all legal proceedings that deal with Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Georgia.
- Phone: 678.493.6160
- Marriage Records: 1841
- Probate Records: 1833
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Georgia Historical Records
- Databases include Georgia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Georgia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Georgia Voter Lists & Census Records; Georgia Immigration & Emigration Records; Georgia Obituary Records; Georgia Military Records; Georgia Family Tree Records; Georgia Pictures; Georgia Stories, Memories & Histories; Georgia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Cherokee County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Cherokee County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Cherokee County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cherokee Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cherokee Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cherokee Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Georgia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Land Lotteries - Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries from in 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833. Where Georgians sold lots won in these lotteries, researchers will find that deeds may be valuable sources of genealogical information. Those deeds should have been recorded in Cherokee county where the land was located, but in some cases references may be found in the counties where the owner resided. Land transaction between private individuals are recorded with the Cherokee county clerk of superior court.
- County Tax Digests (state.ga.us)
- Wills & Estate Records (usgwarchives.net)
- County Records Microfilm Index (state.ga.us)
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia. (search.ancestry.com)
- Land & Deed Records (usgwarchives.net)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Cherokee Co. GA Census Records
Cherokee Co. GA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cherokee Co. GA Church & Bible Records
Cherokee Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cherokee Co. GA General and History Websites
Cherokee Co. GA Immigration & Naturalization
Cherokee Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Statewide Maps and Atlas Links for Georgia
- Cherokee County D.O.T. MAP
- County Maps (sos.state.ga.us) The County Map File consists of maps of Georgia's 161 (now 159) counties collected by the Office of Surveyor General. Many of the maps in this collection were produced under the direction of the state between 1866 - 1935, including those created by Acts of the General Assembly and the State Highway Department; some maps were created in conjunction with the United States Post Office Department and the Department of Agriculture. The several types of county maps show cities, towns, roads and highways, watercourses, and other geographic and topographic features.
- Historical Maps of Cherokee County (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- 1895 Cherokee County Map (livgenmi.com)
Cherokee Co. GA Military Records
Cherokee Co. GA Schools & Directories