Fulton County, Georgia Genealogy
Fulton County, Georgia ancestry and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you to you track your Fulton Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree. Fulton County Quick Facts:
- Government Website: www.co.fulton.ga.us/
- Created Date / Origin: December 20, 1853 from DeKalb County County plus the former Campbell and Milton Counties and a portion of Cobb County (Fulton County was consolidated with Campbell and Milton counties on Jan. 1, 1932. Campbell County was created on Dec. 20, 1828 from portions of Carroll, Coweta, DeKalb, and Fayette counties. Milton County was created on Dec. 18, 1847 from portions of Cherokee, Cobb, and Forsyth counties. )
- County Seat: Atlanta
- Named After: Robert Fulton, an engineer and the inventor of the steamboat.
- Bordering Counties: Cherokee County (northwest), Forsyth County (norteast), Gwinnett County (east), DeKalb County (east), Clayton County (south), Fayette County (south), Coweta County (southwest), Carroll County (west), Douglas County (west) at Chattahoochee River, Cobb County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Alpharetta, Atlanta, Chattahoochee Hills, College Park, East Point, Fairburn, Hapeville, Johns Creek, Milton, Mountain Park, Palmetto, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Union City
Fulton County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fulton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alpharetta Historical Society, PO Box 1386, Alpharetta, GA 30239, (770) 475-4663
- Atlanta Historical Society, 3101 Andrews Drive, Atlanta, GA 30305
- College Park Historical Society, PO Box F, College Park, GA 30337; (404) 767-6202
- East Point Historical Society, 1685 Norman Berry Drive, PO Box 90675, East Point, GA 30364-0675
- Eleventh Circuit Historical Society, PO Box 1556, Atlanta, GA 30301
- Hapeville Historical Society, PO Box 82055, Hapeville, GA 30354
- Old Campbell County Historical Society, PO Box 342, Fairburn, GA 30213-0342; (770) 997-3385
- Friends of Bulloch Hall, 180 Bulloch Ave; Roswell, GA 30075-4420; (404) 992-1731.
- The Georgia Trust, 1516 Peachtree St NW; Atlanta, GA 30309-2916; (404) 881-9980
- Historic Oakland Cemetery, 248 Oakland Ave SE ; Atlanta , GA 30312-2292 ; (404) 658-6019.
- Roswell Historical Society, PO Box 1636; Roswell, GA 30077-1636; (404) 992-1665.
- The Salvation Army Southern Historical Center, 1032 Metropolitan Pkwy SW; Atlanta, GA 30310-3488; Michael Nagy; (404) 752-7578
- Smith Plantation Home Preservationists, Site Coordinator; 935 Alpharetta St; Roswell, GA 30075-3827; Chuck Douglas; (770) 641-3978
- Society of the War of 1812 in the State of GA, 3065 River North Pkwy NW; Atlanta, GA 30328-1117; Joe C. Rude; (770) 396-7960.
- Woodward Academy GMA Archives, 1662 Rugby Ave; College Park, GA30337-2199; Russell Zaring; (404) 765-4000.
- Fulton County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fulton County
- Fulton County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fulton County
Fulton County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the great importance of Fulton County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Hidden away in Georgia courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and worries of many Georgia citizens.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Fulton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Fulton County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data in this county.
- Fulton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Fulton County Clerk of Superior Court has responsibility over felony cases, cases regarding title to land and equity, declaratory judgments, habeas corpus, mandamus, adoptions, name changes, divorces, child custody, and child support enforcement. The clerk is responsible for recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (404) 730-5313
- Land Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1854
- Fulton County Clerk of Probate Court duties cover all legal proceedings that deal with Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Georgia.
- Phone: 404-730-4690
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1854
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Georgia Historical Records
- Databases include Georgia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Georgia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Georgia Voter Lists & Census Records; Georgia Immigration & Emigration Records; Georgia Obituary Records; Georgia Military Records; Georgia Family Tree Records; Georgia Pictures; Georgia Stories, Memories & Histories; Georgia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Fulton County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Fulton County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Fulton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fulton Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fulton Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fulton Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fulton Co. GA Census Records
Fulton Co. GA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fulton Co. GA Church & Bible Records
Fulton Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fulton Co. GA General and History Websites
- Fulton County Georgia (genealogytrails.com)
- Atlanta and its builders : a comprehensive history of the Gate City of the South (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta, yesterday, today and tomorrow (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta, a city of the modern South (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta illustrated : containing glances at its population, business, manufactures, industries, institutions, society, healthfu (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta centennial year book (search.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County, Georgia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Fulton County, Georgia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fulton Co. GA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Georgia Virtual Vault (sos.state.ga.us)
- Fulton County, Georgia History (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton County, Georgia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Georgia - Counties - Fulton (cyndislist.com)
- Fulton County, GA History (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- Fulton Co. GAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- View Index of Counties and Equivalents
- Fulton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Fulton Co. GA Immigration & Naturalization
Fulton Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Statewide Maps and Atlas Links for Georgia
- Fulton County D.O.T. MAP
- County Maps (sos.state.ga.us) The County Map File consists of maps of Georgia's 161 (now 159) counties collected by the Office of Surveyor General. Many of the maps in this collection were produced under the direction of the state between 1866 - 1935, including those created by Acts of the General Assembly and the State Highway Department; some maps were created in conjunction with the United States Post Office Department and the Department of Agriculture. The several types of county maps show cities, towns, roads and highways, watercourses, and other geographic and topographic features.
- Historical Maps of Fulton County (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- 1895 Fulton County Map (livgenmi.com)
Fulton Co. GA Military Records
Fulton Co. GA Schools & Directories