Lamar County, Georgia Genealogy
Lamar County, Georgia ancestry and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you to you track your Lamar Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree. Lamar County Quick Facts:
Lamar County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lamar County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barnesville-Lamar County Historical Society, P.O. Box 805, Barnesville, GA 30204
- Old Jail Museum & Archives, 326 Thomaston Str, Barnesville, GA 30204; 770.358.5855
- Central Georgia Genealogial Society, Post Office Box 2024, Warner Robins, GA 31099
- Lamar County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lamar County
- Lamar County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lamar County
Lamar County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the great importance of Lamar County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Hidden away in Georgia courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and worries of many Georgia citizens.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Lamar County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Lamar County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data in this county.
- Lamar County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Lamar County Clerk of Superior Court has responsibility over felony cases, cases regarding title to land and equity, declaratory judgments, habeas corpus, mandamus, adoptions, name changes, divorces, child custody, and child support enforcement. The clerk is responsible for recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: 770-358-5145
- Land Records: 1921
- Court Records: 1921
- Lamar County Clerk of Probate Court duties cover all legal proceedings that deal with Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Georgia.
- Phone: 770-358-5155
- Marriage Records: 1921
- Probate Records: 1921
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Lamar County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Lamar County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Lamar County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lamar Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lamar Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lamar Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lamar Co. GA Census Records
Lamar Co. GA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lamar Co. GA Church & Bible Records
Lamar Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lamar Co. GA General and History Websites
Lamar Co. GA Immigration & Naturalization
Lamar Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Statewide Maps and Atlas Links for Georgia
- Lamar County D.O.T. MAP
- County Maps (sos.state.ga.us) The County Map File consists of maps of Georgia's 161 (now 159) counties collected by the Office of Surveyor General. Many of the maps in this collection were produced under the direction of the state between 1866 - 1935, including those created by Acts of the General Assembly and the State Highway Department; some maps were created in conjunction with the United States Post Office Department and the Department of Agriculture. The several types of county maps show cities, towns, roads and highways, watercourses, and other geographic and topographic features.
- Historical Maps of Lamar County (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- 1895 Lamar County Map (livgenmi.com)
Lamar Co. GA Military Records
Lamar Co. GA Schools & Directories