Wilkinson County, Georgia Genealogy
Wilkinson County, Georgia ancestry and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you to you track your Wilkinson Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree. Wilkinson County Quick Facts:
- Government Website: www.wilkinsoncounty.net/
- Created Date / Origin: May 11, 1803 from Creek Cessions of 1802 and 1805
- County Seat: Irwinton
- Named After: General James Wilkinson (1757 - 1825), a hero of the Revolutionary War and of the War of 1812.
- Bordering Counties: Baldwin County (north), Washington County (
northeast), Johnson County (east), Laurens County, Twiggs County (southwest), Jones County (northwest)
- Cities & towns include: Allentown, Gordon, Irwinton, Ivey, McIntyre, Toomsboro
Wilkinson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wilkinson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wilkinson County Historical Society, PO Box 1076 ; Gordon , GA 31031-1076 ; (478) 946-2723
- Savannah River Valley Genealogical Society, c/o Hart County Library, Benson St., Hartwell, GA 30643
- Wiregrass Genealogical Society, 45 25th Ave., Eastman, GA 31023
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wilkinson County
- Wilkinson County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wilkinson County
Wilkinson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the great importance of Wilkinson County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Hidden away in Georgia courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and worries of many Georgia citizens.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Wilkinson County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Wilkinson County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data in this county. The County Corthouse was destroyed by fire in 1824 & 1854, all records were destroyed. The courthouse was also burned down with minimal loss of records in 1864 (Sherman's Troops) and in 1924.
- Wilkinson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Wilkinson County Clerk of Superior Court has responsibility over felony cases, cases regarding title to land and equity, declaratory judgments, habeas corpus, mandamus, adoptions, name changes, divorces, child custody, and child support enforcement. The clerk is responsible for recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (601) 888-4361
- Land Records: 1855
- Court Records: 1855
- Wilkinson County Clerk of Probate Court duties cover all legal proceedings that deal with Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Georgia.
- Phone: 478)946-2222
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1854
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Wilkinson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Wilkinson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Wilkinson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wilkinson Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wilkinson Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wilkinson Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Georgia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Land Lotteries - Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries from in 1805, 1807, 1820, 1821, 1827, 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833. Where Georgians sold lots won in these lotteries, researchers will find that deeds may be valuable sources of genealogical information. Those deeds should have been recorded in Wilkinson county where the land was located, but in some cases references may be found in the counties where the owner resided. Land transaction between private individuals are recorded with the Wilkinson county clerk of superior court.
- County Tax Digests (state.ga.us)
- Wills & Estate Records (usgwarchives.net)
- County Records Microfilm Index (state.ga.us)
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia. (search.ancestry.com)
- Land & Deed Records (usgwarchives.net)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Wilkinson Co. GA Census Records
Wilkinson Co. GA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wilkinson Co. GA Church & Bible Records
Wilkinson Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wilkinson Co. GA General and History Websites
Wilkinson Co. GA Immigration & Naturalization
Wilkinson Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Statewide Maps and Atlas Links for Georgia
- Wilkinson County D.O.T. MAP
- County Maps (sos.state.ga.us) The County Map File consists of maps of Georgia's 161 (now 159) counties collected by the Office of Surveyor General. Many of the maps in this collection were produced under the direction of the state between 1866 - 1935, including those created by Acts of the General Assembly and the State Highway Department; some maps were created in conjunction with the United States Post Office Department and the Department of Agriculture. The several types of county maps show cities, towns, roads and highways, watercourses, and other geographic and topographic features.
- Historical Maps of Wilkinson County (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- 1895 Wilkinson County Map (livgenmi.com)
Wilkinson Co. GA Military Records
Wilkinson Co. GA Schools & Directories